A Brief History of Commercial Point:
Wiley H. Beckett came from eastern Virginia in 1829 and settled on a 238-acre tract west of the present Commercial Point. In 1841 he laid out a town which he named Genoa. James H. Burnley came from Virginia in 1832 and laid out a similar town east of Genoa and called it Rome. The first store was established in 1844 by Wiley H. Beckett. Genoa was incorporated in 1851, which encompassed Genoa and Rome. The name of the village was changed in 1872 to Commercial Point.